Sunday, February 24, 2008

On Marginal Matters

"...his (Kabakov) basic conviction is that the greatest measure of creative latitude is often found at the artistic margins."
Intoduction by Robert Stern in ILYA KABAKOV, The Man Who Never Threw Anything Away by Amei Wallach, Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1996.

Inspired by Ilya Kabakov and the Soviet NonConformists Art Movement, Marginal Matters explores art and life on the margins. Margins suggest a center. The center in art is often called "the mainstream". In this debut posting of Marginal Matters, several artists contemplate the mainstream and their relationship to it.
I live near the mainstream of mainstreams. I think about it; I visit it; I like it when it doesn’t smell bad, I once dreamed of living in a houseboat on the mainstream but then I discovered rats live on houseboats and I’m afraid of rats so I changed my mind.

No comments: